Prefer to LISTEN to the audio version of this article?
I get asked about this a lot and honestly, I was shocked myself when I did it.
Because I didn’t expect it to be so simple…I was used to doing it the hard way….which took me a year or more to do previously.
So how did I do it?
I opened the door to talk to people in my email list community. I told them that I had some open spots to talk, who it was for, what would happen on that chat, and what steps to take to apply for one of those spots (because there was a limit).
Now, I had done this before but THIS TIME I did a few things differently.
Here’s an interesting thing…you could take all the same steps and yet missing one small detail could dramatically change the result.
For example, you could have a well written email and the wrong subject line will keep it from getting opened in the first place.
Here’s the steps I took, that you can model in your business:
Step One: Email Them
You will want to send a series of 3 emails to your email list community, no matter the size.
These people already “raised their hand” that they were interested in your expertise so it would be pretty special to be able to talk to you directly.
In the first email, you would want to do these core things:
- Connect with them, let them know who it’s for so they can self select if its right for them (this is important because when you try to talk to everyone, you talk to no one)
- Offer the opportunity to chat (you’ll want to give that chat a specific name – mine are called “Dream Launch Discovery Sessions”
- Share how many openings you have. (If you don’t, they won’t feel urgent or exclusive, it will seem that they can apply whenever and of course they won’t since it will not be top of mind later.)
- Share why they would want to talk to you. This is where you describe what happens on this session and the benefits/value they will get on that session.
- Share the next steps to access a spot. Your prospect needs to know clearly what to do to claim a spot and by when.
In the second email, you will want to:
- Open up the opportunity to apply, and remind them of all the points in your first email. Today’s the day they can start applying.
- Give them a way to apply. You can send them to a webpage to complete an application online to apply for a spot. If you are just starting out, you can put the questions to apply right in the email and have them reply to you with the responses.
- Confirm their application with the next step. They need to know that their application went through and was received. So you can either set up an autoresponder or email them directly to acknowledge their application and let them know what the next step is.
A few steps to automate the process…
When you receive the applications, be sure you follow up with an email autoresponder that thanks them for applying, and to invite the qualified ones to book their time.
What I mean by qualified, is dependent on your own criteria for who you most want to talk to based on their responses. Ideally, you talk to the ones who you can best serve with your solution.
If you are just starting out, I recommend talking to everyone who applies. It’s great research into your email community of people.
You will also want to use a tool to automate the booking process, so they can book a time that works.
I use Timetrade myself and set up the open spaces available in advance that they can pick from.
In the last email, you will want to:
- Encourage them to apply for a spot if they haven’t already and remind them why they would want them.
- Remind them of the deadline – today’s the last day for them to apply for a spot.
- Be authentic. You can add real-time information such as how many spots are left, what you are hearing from people or even a testimonial of someone who has taken you up on one of these sessions in the past.
Now, for the exciting part…
Check your email and read the applications coming through and learn about people in your community.
It’s a great way to remind you of what you do and why. There are so many people who need what you offer.
How do I know that?
Because business is about solving problems for people.
You have a solution and people will pay you for it because they want to solve the problem they have, and you have solved it and can save them time, money and effort if you share exactly how.
I help people with launching because I know what it’s like to pour my heart, energy, time, and little bit of money I had to launching a program and get no sales.
It was so painful that (after crying on my knees and praying for an answer) I was determined to solve it.
And after I did, and gratefully launched filled my program…I was ecstatic to do it again and again…and went on a mission to show other entrepreneurs how, too!
Now that you have received applications from people who are interested in talking to you, it’s time to talk to them.
Since you already have their application with some information about them and their challenge or problem, you know that they are interested in a solution already.
The goal on this call is to be in service and…
- Get to the problem or challenge they are having
- Ask powerful questions to see if they are a match and if/how you can help them
- Show them what’s possible and how they can best solve their problem.
- Give them the information that they need to make a decision.
- Guide them in making a decision.
Isn’t it a relief that your goal is not to make a sale but rather help them make a decision.
Not everybody is right for you.
I’ve learned this the hard way, and of course I want to help you get results more effectively.
When you are committed to helping people make a decision, you can do that and get results on every call you have.
It’s really powerful for everyone involved. You get to move on and serve the ones who have a clear yes, and for the no’s you can move on too.
Quick tip: I like to think of these calls like an interview…Can I best help them? Are they a match to my ideal client (my ideal clients get the best results)? Would I just love working with them?
Now that you’ve been talking to the people who applied to talk with you, it’s up to you to make the invitation to move forward.
I call it an invitation, because the goal is to make this offer only to those who want to go the next level with you at your highest level.
My highest level was a 12-month agreement for private support for $25,000 – $50,000.
When I applied this process, I was sharing this highest level of service for the very first time.
I was so scared to offer it and almost chickened out.
In fact, when I said it, my hands started sweating and I was so nervous…Not because I couldn’t do it or was making a false promise, I was already doing this work, but I had never packaged it this way for 12-months of services.
I’d love to tell you how I did that but I’ll have to save that for another article.
3 New high-end clients = $100,000 in one week
Here’s the formula to make money in a week, you can simply insert here:
Day 1 – 5: 3 part email series
Day 3-7: Conduct sessions
____ (# of appointments) X _____(your conversion – average is 1 in 4 of the right people for your offer) = ____(# of Sales)
Offer $ amount _____ X _____(# of sales) = $ made this week
12 appointments X 25% conversion = 3 sales
$2000 offer X 3 = $6000
For now, the point is that you too can make great money from any place you are starting, by using these 3 steps to make money in a week.
And you can even model my 3-part email series that I use to run this strategy in my business any time I have client 1:1 openings.
Grab those free templates here.
I invite you to test it in your business, and share your results below.